From sparing thousands of animals suffering in laboratories to crippling the mohair trade to rescuing animals trapped in hurricane floodwaters, PETA had quite the year in 2018. And while we’re always planning our next demonstration, campaign, and viral social media moment, we like to take a few minutes every year to recognize the strides we’ve made to keep animals out of laboratories, off our plates, away from circuses, and more!
Here are some great things that occurred in 2018:
- Companies like General Mills and Sapporo Holdings—and nearly 20 others—banned animal testing.
- San Francisco and Los Angeles banned the sale of fur.
- Zara, Topshop, and more than 300 other companies said that they would stop using mohair wool after a PETA exposé.
- Jack Daniel’s ended its sponsorship of the Iditarod.
- PETA worked with celebrities like Gillian Anderson, Jermaine Dupri, and Paulina Rubio to bring attention to a variety of animal rights issues.
- Barnum’s Animals crackers changed its packaging to reflect a world in which animals are no longer caged and displayed for human entertainment.
- Nearly two dozen companies banned the use of badger hair in paint and shaving brushes.
- PETA billboards across the country encouraged passersby to consider that the animals they eat are individuals, not food.
- And much more!
Let’s Keep Up the Victories in 2019
Thank you for being a friend to animals in 2018. Help us make 2019 our biggest year yet by making a donation today. Your gift will support our investigations and campaigns as well as all the work we do every day to improve the lives of animals, big and small.