WATCH: 2019 Was an Eye-Popping, Record-Breaking Year for PETA
“We believe that animals are not like us—they are us. We are all animals, and we never, never forget it.”
—PETA President and founder Ingrid Newkirk
The final year of the decade was another tremendous year for PETA’s efforts to end speciesism in all its forms. Our inspiring outreach, groundbreaking investigations, heartwarming rescues, and bold activism helped secure advancements in animal rights that will spare the lives of literally millions of animals exploited by industries that abuse them.
See the progress we made and some of the animals we helped:
Here are some of the biggest PETA victories of 2019:
- We ignited a worldwide conversation about the ways we talk about animals by introducing animal-friendly idioms and phrases.
- Our scientists persuaded The Hershey Company, Kellogg Company, and Pernod Ricard (owner of Absolut Vodka, Jameson Irish Whiskey, Malibu Rum, and other brands) to stop conducting or funding deadly experiments on animals.
- After decades of PETA campaigns, Macy’s, Prada, and others banned fur. Even Queen Elizabeth II announced that she decided to ditch fur.
- Herbal Essences, Dove, and Aussie joined PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies cruelty-free list.
- PETA collaborated with SynDaver to launch a hyper-realistic frog-free dissection tool to replace the use of real frogs in classroom dissection.
- Our behind-the-scenes efforts led to the launch of dozens of new vegan products at restaurant chains including Del Taco, Carl’s Jr., and Dunkin’, to name a few.
- Pfizer and other gigantic companies banned the cruel forced swim test.
- The biggest retailer in the world, Walmart, ended all sales of live fish.
- Celebrities such as Michael Keaton, Kat Graham, Eva Gutowski, and Lonnie Walker helped us draw attention to animal rights issues—and Oscar winner James Cromwell was even arrested for protesting Texas A&M’s experiments on dogs.
- California passed the PETA-backed Circus Cruelty Prevention Act, which will ban the use of most animals in circuses.
The video above highlights just a few of the massive victories we won in 2019, thanks to compassionate people like you. Our work wouldn’t be possible without your continued support, and the end of the year is the perfect time to celebrate all that we’ve accomplished together.
Let’s Keep Up the Momentum in 2020
Thank you for being an integral part of PETA’s mission to advance animal rights and end speciesism. Help us accomplish all of our 2020 goals by making a donation today. Your gift supports our work to help all animals.